Tuesday 18 April 2023

A visit to Stratford-upon-Avon


 A visit to Stratford-upon-Avon


Stratford is a market town nearby Birmingham, in the West Midland region of England. Its population is around 30 thousand people, but nevertheless a very nice and full of life area. Ok, maybe some people are asking themselves, what's the deal with this location? Well, my dear friends, this is the birthplace of William Shakespeare.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)


I have always been fascinated by Shakespeare. I studied him in high school, and I consider his work one of the most interesting texts written in English during the middle Ages, like Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Hamlet, along with the Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. Frankly, the whole city of Stratford is built around the cult of this incredible writer and I am not exaggerating when I am saying this. I had the chance to visit his memorial house. It is located in the middle of city Old Centre. I had no idea that his house was so stylish, based on the 16th century standards of course, but it was. 

Shakespeare's memorial house


Additionally, another tourist attraction I had no idea about was the Holy Trinity Church. This is the place where our hero was baptized, got married and was also buried. I know right, it certainly played a major role in his life.


Holy Trinity Church of Stratford-upon-Avon


The church, located on the bank of river Avon, was built in 1210, but the first mention of a place of worship dates back to the 8th century during Anglo-Saxon England. In my opinion, it is a little bit paradoxical that such a great writer is buried in such a small location, but this might have been his last wish, which is way I consider this place to have been very special for Shakespeare. Now about the church itself, it is very well preserved for its age. I had some kind of a culture shock to see that it had automatic doors, you would never see that in my country. Ooh, and one more thing, it costs 4 pounds to see Shakespeare's grave, but it worth.

The Holy Trinity Bust of Shakespeare on wall of church above Shakespeare’s grave 

Shakespeare's grave


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Nazi took the streets of Manhattan

 1939 Nazi rally at Madison Square Garden Probably many people saw one short movie from Nazi rally in the 1930's Germany. Today, I will ...